The Underwriting Agencies Council has four new directors.
The new directors, who will each serve for two years, were declared elected at today’s annual general meeting (AGM) in Sydney. They are:
- Colin Fagen, founder and managing director of Blue Zebra Insurance
- Simon Lightbody, CEO of Steadfast Underwriting Agencies and Miramar Underwriting Agency (retiring director re-elected)
- Heath Amber, CEO of Austplacements (retiring director re-elected)
- Emily Walker, head of strata and development, Axis Underwriting (retiring director re-elected)
There was a record number of 12 nominations for the four vacancies.
Four board members were not required to stand for election in 2022. They are:
- UAC chair Kurt Nilsen, managing director of Lion Underwriting
- Jeanene HiIl, head of coverholder and delegated authority, Asia Pacific, Canopius Australia
- Anthony Porter, national business development manager, AFA Insurance
- Mike Edmonds, executive general manager, National Transport Insurance.
During his chair’s address at the AGM, Mr Nilsen detailed UAC’s achievements over the past 12 months and highlights for 2023, which include a record number of 10 expos around the country, including new locations of the Gold Coast, Queensland, and Wollongong, NSW.
He paid tribute to UAC General Manager William Legge, who retires at the end of 2022. “We will miss William’s leadership and passion,” he said.
“UAC is undoubtably in the position it is today, as the leading industry association for underwriting agencies, due to William’s continued commitment over the past 11 years.”
Mr Nilsen said market and capacity conditions had continued to harden in specific classes and occupations, which saw the UAC website enjoy increased traffic as brokers looked to the agency sector for solutions.
He said UAC had continued to improve, grow and provide the best possible value to members. During 2022, UAC welcomed 10 new voting members into the UAC family and 15 Business Service members.
At a board meeting after the AGM, Mr Nilsen stepped down as chair and Heath Amber was elected as his replacement. Mr Nilsen said after nine years on the board, with the last three as chair, it was time to hand the mantle to another director.
Deputy chair is Mike Edmonds, director finance/treasurer is Simon Lightbody and retiring director Trent Brown, founding director of Allstate Underwriting, was appointed as an associate director and assistant treasurer. Emily Walker was appointed UAC company secretary and public officer.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
William Legge, General Manager, Underwriting Agencies Council
P: 0409 302 423 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Released by: Kate Tilley, UAC Communications Consultant
P: 07 3831 7500 M: 0418 741 606 E: email@example.com
Release date: Thursday 8 December 2022
The Underwriting Agencies Council (UAC) is the peak body for Australian underwriting agencies, who write annual GWP of more than $7.5bn. UAC serves members’ interests through professional development events; broker expos to showcase members’ specialist products; sector-specific marketing campaigns; and advocacy with government and industry bodies. UAC has more than 120 agency members, supported by 64 business service members.